May 4, 2010

a bigger boy everyday

I was at one of my favorite places today (TARGET) to pick up a few things and I passed the laundry/storage aisle. They have the cutest storage supplies for kids rooms these days. I had been thinking of getting Sky some sort of dresser type apparatus but didn't want some heavy wooden thing with drawers that could cause him damage. Besides, he's two... He doesn't exactly have that kind of demand for the storage of clothes. When I got back to work from my lunch break I kept thinking about the storage bin I had seen earlier. I thought about how Skylar helps me load the washer, sort clothes, and load the dryer. It seemed like a suitable next step for him. He's nearly potty trained (having trouble getting him to go to the toilet before going number 2), he brushes his own teeth, pretty much bathes himself, and darn near dresses himself. I mean, his new favorite saying is "my do it!" So I decided why not get him involved in picking out his own clothes and helping put them away.

So after I picked him up from daycare I told him we were going to get some cool new stuff for his room. He sounded excited and kept asking if we were at the store yet! This is the storage bin:



He helped me pair up socks, and fill the bin with his clothes. Pajamas and slippers- on top, underwear and socks- top drawer, t-shirts- middle drawer, shorts- bottom drawer. Hanging- collared shirts, long sleeve shirts, sweaters, pants.



We also picked up a new rug for his room. I feel like it's all tied together better now.




By the end of our clothes sorting journey he was still helping me but it took almost an hour so his attention was fading a bit. I was surprised that he payed attention for that long seeing as how we weren't engaged in the most exciting activity possible. It may have gone quicker if he didn't stray now and then but overall I was super proud of my "Big Boy!"

2 comments:

  1. That's a really good idea with the storage bin! His room is too cute! And has changed so much since he was a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love that he helped you fill it up too. That's pretty good for a 2-year-old.

    ReplyDelete