April 28, 2010

a big fat waste of time

Skylar and I spent four hours on post today for practically no reason at all. Apparently when you are moving to an "overseas" assignment all dependants need current physicals and to be screened for the Exceptional Family Member Program or EFMP. So here I am thinking Skylar will be seen by a doctor, PA, or NP and they will go over some developmental tasks or activities with him but... nope! It is literally a worksheet that you do yourself! I mean, if I wanted to I could choose the outcome. It was bad enough I had to try to get Skylar to pay attention to me when there were far too many more interesting things going around in the clinic. Also, my physical consisted of my doctor walking in, putting the stethoscope to my chest without saying a word, bringing me into an office only to find out I'm not the patient she was looking for, sending me back, and going through it again and then verifying my name. Luckily the second time she did intend to see me. Am I just that ancient, or did physicals used to consist of your doctor palpating your abdomen, thyroid, neck, back, etc. Not anymore! That was just a questionnaire that I could have hypothetically filled out myself. She didn't examine me, just asked me if I had pain and any medical history. I thought to myself: "what's the point of having a primary doctor if they don't know who you are, what your history is, or at least have the decency to look at your chart before they call you and what the hell is the point of having a physical in the office? I could have done this over the phone!"

So anyway, it was a super long day that essentially wasted my time. The upside to those four hours is that they were spent with my beautiful son, regardless how imperfect his behavior may have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment